Fortunately, I didn't have to make much of an argument for documentation in Project Recover. I told the company owner that we'd need a couple of hours up front to document the existing system. At first, he grudgingly agreed to the hours, saying "Well, if you need it". I told him that I didn't need it--he did! I pointed out that the reason he brought me in was to get things set up so that the people he hires to maintain his systems can do it with minimal ramp up. Documentation is the way to make that happen. Every system and process needs to be documented. Without documentation, there's no way to ensure that you're being consistent in how you care for your systems.
The tool we use for documentation is MediaWiki, the same wiki software that powers Wikipedia. It's a drop in wiki that's incredibly easy to install and, for our purposes, incredibly light weight. We found a machine that's underutilized and installed MediaWiki. We then began the process of documenting all of the systems.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment